Ceramic Brake Worries - 2016+ Acura NSX Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Ceramic Brake Worries

So the Acura NSX is supposed to come with front and rear 2-Pc Floating Carbon Ceramic Disks but I've read that the braking power with ceramics can be diminished when it gets wet.

I know this isn't from Acura but I assume all ceramic brakes work similar.

Audi glossary:
Quote:
When wet or exposed to road salts (e.g. after going through a car wash, overnight dew, etc.) the braking effect may correspond to that of a conventional brake system.
Has anyone experienced this and do I need to worry about my braking power when it's wet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 10:47 AM

Carbon ceramic rotors will be optional, and I'm guessing pretty expensive. Probably over $10k.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 05:46 PM

A) they're not worth the option unless your car will be on track FAR more then on the road

B) it's not that their bad, its just that pedal feel can be vague in the wet, ie a lack of feeling... but then again this is what journalists say, and i mean if you're coming to stop light int he wet I'm positive you'll be fine.

All journalists secretly think they're fernando alonso, so when they say things like vague at the limit in the wet what they really mean is "we have no clue what we're talking about, but we've heard some great platitudes on the television that should be applicable" Done, that's your review
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 10:49 AM

They're good if you want some extra bling going on but some might disagree

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violee View Post
A) they're not worth the option unless your car will be on track FAR more then on the road

B) it's not that their bad, its just that pedal feel can be vague in the wet, ie a lack of feeling... but then again this is what journalists say, and i mean if you're coming to stop light int he wet I'm positive you'll be fine.

All journalists secretly think they're fernando alonso, so when they say things like vague at the limit in the wet what they really mean is "we have no clue what we're talking about, but we've heard some great platitudes on the television that should be applicable" Done, that's your review
Thought it was stock and worried that I may skid or run into a tree when it's wet with ceramic brakes. Glad to know it's optional and I won't really need it since I don't go on track.

Thanks for putting my worries to rest guys!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violee View Post
they're not worth the option unless your car will be on track FAR more then on the road
Big +1. The benefits of ceramic brakes are not experienced on the street. Moreover, ceramic brakes are exponentially more expensive to replace.
nexus likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 02:41 PM

Ok so they are a pricey add on which if not tracking are not needed. However, would the pricey wheels benefit with less or maybe no static dusting quite common with good steel disc systems. I realize pads are a big factor on that but don't know what happens when the ceramics discs come into play. If anyone with actual experience or knowledge on this do pipe in. I am a clean freak when it comes to my toys and am constantly cleaning the wheels to extent possible for look and minimizing any corrosive affects. Plus I have another related question on typical complaints where ceramics need to heat up for better performance and feel. Since brakes on this car are by wire mixed with regen braking with computer really running the show base on your foots input... might Acura be able to compensate for the typical downfalls if just normal or spirited driving vs all out track? I can see myself on the fence over which brakes to justify or dismiss because I suspect the above overall operational difference can override some previous bad press on ceramic... OR maybe not or even worse. They the ability to do so much with software on this car to makes better or worse. I hope it will be able to be improved over time as they learn more after released ... much like Tesla does. Wouldn't it be Great to have a year 1 (2017) car be essentially as good as a year 5 or more due to downloads!
nexus likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 02:45 PM

Sorry for some grammar typos. And I forgot to add. The ceramics will be much pricier to replace. But if not tracking... shouldn't they last much longer than steel counterparts?
nexus likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

I found a pro and con video for ceramic and metallic brake pads.

If the video is correct, both brake pads produce around the same amount of dust but one is just more visible than the other. I also found that metallic brake pads will lose friction when overheated while the ceramic is more stable over a wider range of temperatures. Not sure any of the reviews have covered this so far so we don't know if Acura factored this in.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
Sorry for some grammar typos. And I forgot to add. The ceramics will be much pricier to replace. But if not tracking... shouldn't they last much longer than steel counterparts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
Ok so they are a pricey add on which if not tracking are not needed. However, would the pricey wheels benefit with less or maybe no static dusting quite common with good steel disc systems. I realize pads are a big factor on that but don't know what happens when the ceramics discs come into play. If anyone with actual experience or knowledge on this do pipe in. I am a clean freak when it comes to my toys and am constantly cleaning the wheels to extent possible for look and minimizing any corrosive affects. Plus I have another related question on typical complaints where ceramics need to heat up for better performance and feel. Since brakes on this car are by wire mixed with regen braking with computer really running the show base on your foots input... might Acura be able to compensate for the typical downfalls if just normal or spirited driving vs all out track? I can see myself on the fence over which brakes to justify or dismiss because I suspect the above overall operational difference can override some previous bad press on ceramic... OR maybe not or even worse. They the ability to do so much with software on this car to makes better or worse. I hope it will be able to be improved over time as they learn more after released ... much like Tesla does. Wouldn't it be Great to have a year 1 (2017) car be essentially as good as a year 5 or more due to downloads!
you make good points, and the durability factor may justify the increase in cost. Someone would need to do hypothetical calculations, but it's a good thought!

The regen braking may cover off some of the perceived missing feel, but I also would like to know what this perceived missing feel is. Their observations are vague, like do they not know how much pressure they're applying or just that they're not sure if they're actually slowing down or not.

As for the wet thing, most people brake earlier and drive more conservative in the rain. So not sure lack of feel in the wet is a good pro or con...

We shall see...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2016+ Acura NSX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page