Here is the Acura Precision Concept! - Page 2 - 2016+ Acura NSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 09:46 AM

It looks nothing like the Mazda. The NSx precision grille looks like a heart shape While the Mazda grille is more of a guppy's mouth. Granted they're both red but I really can't see the similarities. If Acura can produce something similar to the concept then it's a win in my books.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 12:34 PM

Car and Driver has an interview with some designers of the Precision Concept that gives us some insight as to what elements of the concept sedan are likely to eventually make it to market.

Quote:
According to lead exterior designer Michelle Christensen, who also served as the lead exterior designer of the NSX, it’s intended to clarify Acura’s mantra of “Precision Crafted Performance,” for both internal and external purposes. “Coming off of [the NSX launch] we wanted to look at our lineup and design language and reassess where we’re going. We had every intent to trickle the NSX design elements and soul into our products, so we wanted to make a vision car not only to show the world what our intentions are, but also to have a muse in the studio to inspire our designers and get everyone on the same page.”
Quote:
“We’re applying as much of this as possible, from the actual design theme to the proportion to the technology, the lighting, and especially the new grille. The name of the new grille is the ‘diamond pentagon.’ The general shape has a diamond shape and also the details in the mesh have radiating diamonds. That’s a theme that we’re carrying into production for sure.”
Quote:
Perhaps the highest priority, Christensen said, is a change in proportions to low and wide.
Quote:
“The way I see it,” Christensen said, “is that I think we have great products, and at the core they’ve always had this performance in there, I just think that maybe it hasn’t been loud enough or it may not have been consistent across the board. I think now we’re really bringing the soul out and turning the volume up full blast.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 09:35 AM

So they're keeping the grille and it could look wider than the concept? Don't think it can go any lower at this point but it could probably be a bit wider if that's what Acura wants.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Why do you say that it may get wider?
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 10:01 AM

The quote above me said it:
Quote:
Perhaps the highest priority, Christensen said, is a change in proportions to low and wide.

post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 01:10 PM

Depending on how response unfolds over time on the Precision Concept, maybe it could translate into design changes with current models, Acura is still trying to find what works for them, so this could be them testing the waters.

RLX can use some of what the Precision has going on.

post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNSX View Post
The quote above me said it:
I thought that referred to the body of the vehicle, not the grille necessarily.
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 10:05 AM

I don't think the RLX will be getting design notes from the Precision concept.
Automobile Mag had a Q&A session with Acura's global creative director Dave Marek.

Quote:
Automobile: The latest RLX was not well received. Does Acura, and do you, retain a desire for a large premium sedan in the RLX vein?

DM: I think we want to embrace Precision Crafted Performance, which indicates lower, wider, more sporty feeling, and more emotional styling and cars, so we don’t really want to do a traditional luxury car [again]. We want to do more of a modern, sporty premium car. You should always know it’s Precision Crafted Performance. It’s in our nature, I’d say fun, to make more sporty, stylish, racing heritage cars.
From the sounds of it, Acura will not be releasing a luxury sedan like the RLX. I could be wrong but is Acura is trying to go for sporty cars hearkening back to it's racing heritage a sedan may not be the way to go.

post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 12:22 PM

Well Acura is known to be tight-lipped about things. Plus it's always easier to not leave people with expectations when the time isn't right. Fact is the market the RLX competes in is growing and getting competitive, pushing the RLX further back, they need something.

post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 09:50 AM

I thought the SUV and CUV market was the one that's taking off recently? Maybe Acura will move in that direction before releasing a new RLX?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2016+ Acura NSX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page