3D Printing Car parts - 2016+ Acura NSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Red face 3D Printing Car parts

You hear about a lot of things on the internet but this seemed really awesome (If it's true).

This thing called 3d printing:
3d printed car on Forbes.com

Apparently, you can make full on working cars with this technology.

Has anyone tried this or heard of this?

They seem to be having these repository of 'digital' files online as well. Like this car phone attachment:
https://pinshape.com/items/4661-3d-p...ar-phone-mount

Love to learn more of heck create a part or two. Hope it's not expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 03:42 PM

I mean... it's not impossible to make full on working cars with this. It's just how they would perform would be the issue as you can't really use heat as for energy considering it would melt. BUT, possible nonetheless and will become even more possible as we progress into the future.

Now, for car parts, people have been doing this for quite a bit now. Seen guys make custom cup holders, even molds for things they want to recreate with fiberglass. Quite cool
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 08:01 AM

I think most of the parts that they print out are things like bumpers and seats. An actual car engine would be a beast to print out and have it working reliably.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAndFurious View Post
I think most of the parts that they print out are things like bumpers and seats. An actual car engine would be a beast to print out and have it working reliably.
Sounds interesting nonetheless. Who knows, give it another 10 or 20 years and we just might be printing all kinds of engines.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 08:32 AM

I would bank more on the 20 years for that. But yea, I don't think printing engines is going to be here anytime soon because of reliability. Bumpers I can see happening as well, but just as for a mold.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 03:25 PM

I think Koeinegsegg prints some parts and for car makers like them that aren't working with high volume it makes a lot of sense. With high volume products its easier to invest in a mold and make a return out of it in good timing to then be in profit. We'll see a rapidly growing production of small low volume parts produced... then it progress in line with 3D printing technology.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 09:03 AM

Koenigsegg has a 3D printed variable turbo and they 3D print some parts for the One:1 but it's of course not printed out of plastic but they are titanium and carbon printing.

Mind blown.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 12:54 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
Koenigsegg has a 3D printed variable turbo and they 3D print some parts for the One:1 but it's of course not printed out of plastic but they are titanium and carbon printing.

Mind blown.
Yup.

Another time we might see it being used is with the production of aftermarket parts since for complex designs done on a short production run, it will make sense. The cost of creating a mold alone could be enough to call off a project.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 03:37 PM

That is true.. this pretty much allows you to just set a rendering in and print out 1. They only thing you'll be spending on is materials and the initial computer design of the part ?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 11:46 PM

I honestly would not feel very safe riding in a car that has been ENTIRELY 3D printed although I'm pretty sure that it's possible. I wouldn't mind sitting in a car that had certain parts printed and then put together though - sounds a bit like a model car that you get to piece together, but life sized instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2016+ Acura NSX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page