What are people going to do to protect the exterior paint? Clear car bra? Opticoat? - 2016+ Acura NSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

What are people going to do to protect the exterior paint? Clear car bra? Opticoat?

Wondering how everyone is going to protect their cars from chipping and scratches? I've been happy w 3M clear car bra and opticoat on other cars but wondering about the long term effects, esp on the 130R color. I've heard about the yellowing of the clear car bra and the difficulty of taking it off to replace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 08:47 AM

Clear Bra. No way I'm applying a permanent layer of protective coating on the NSX paint.

At least with the clear bra it's removable once it turns yellow and you can redo it again. Really shouldn't be a problem unless you're constantly parked outside in the sun and technology has come a long way with these protective films. Xpel is one of the more popular ones I've heard about and they have a 10 year warranty against yellowing and cracking.

not sure how either would affect the actual paint.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 08:59 AM

I would definitely go with Xpel ultimate and layer it with a sealant. Then periodically apply layers of carnauba wax. Once the car undergoes a cut and polish to prep it for the Xpel, it's virtually flawless. Xpel can always be removed as well and your paint will still be flawless and preserved just how you sealed it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNSX View Post
Clear Bra. No way I'm applying a permanent layer of protective coating on the NSX paint.

At least with the clear bra it's removable once it turns yellow and you can redo it again. Really shouldn't be a problem unless you're constantly parked outside in the sun and technology has come a long way with these protective films. Xpel is one of the more popular ones I've heard about and they have a 10 year warranty against yellowing and cracking.

not sure how either would affect the actual paint.
actually I think these days clear bra has improve to the point we don't have to worry about it yellowing, that's what I got from Larry at AMMO NYC. possible yellowing will be the least of our worries.

bigger worries will be about maintaining the wrap to ensure you get the most life out of it
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Great responses. And I mistakingly said 3M, I did place Xpel on my last car but haven't had it for that long to see about yellowing. What kind of sealant are you talking about? & is that placed prior to the Xpel?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 09:08 AM

Xpel doesn't need sealant, just gotta make sure you install it properly, no air bubbles and such. It's labor intensive especially is you have have to install it around badges so it's best to find a reputable clear bra installer.

As for how to take care of it, just do what you would normally do with a normal uncovered car;, remove stains as soon as you can, don't use abrasive cleaners, wax it, etc.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 12:43 PM

for that reason going to a professional is the best thing to do since doing it on your own you might not understand the in's and out's of using that product which to someone who has done this a number of times... comes very naturally. at the end of the day this is an investment.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 09:13 AM

I can barely stick on a phone cover properly, let alone a layer of Xpel. Definitely go to a reputable installer. I see people spraying on some kind of liquid first. Is that sealant?

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAndFurious View Post
Xpel doesn't need sealant, just gotta make sure you install it properly, no air bubbles and such. It's labor intensive especially is you have have to install it around badges so it's best to find a reputable clear bra installer.

As for how to take care of it, just do what you would normally do with a normal uncovered car;, remove stains as soon as you can, don't use abrasive cleaners, wax it, etc.
Xpel sells a sealant to apply over the film every three months. Don't need it, but I personally like to maintain high gloss and added protection

As far as installation goes... definitely go to a professional to get it done.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 12:37 PM

Professional should always be the way to go since you just never know what imperfections there might be in the paint which a professional can fix, most of us don't have the range of products, tools, etc. they do, and when you use these paint protection products, making sure you work with a flawless surface is required, it's a process even to get to that state.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2016+ Acura NSX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page