Specs posted on Acura Canada site - Page 2 - 2016+ Acura NSX Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 10:04 AM

Odd that the XM Satellite radio is an option when my old cars from ye olde days came with it as standard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
I'm planning on removing most of the engine covers, so a carbon fiber cover would be a waste for me. What's the point of having a mid-engined car if you can't see the engine?

Seacoast used to be called Orchid. Not sure why they changed the name. But here is an example:

And this is Saddle:
I suspect removing covers could be detrimental as I suspect they play a roll in air flow management and heat dissipation. Remember this car has numerous heat exchangers with a lot of engineering and testing behind it. Who knows what they learned from the infamous fire at THE RING. Would not want to lose the engine or entire car and then learn not covered due to unauthorized alterations impacting heat transfers in key areas. Just my 2 cents / personal thoughts. I'd leave as is till a bunch have a lot of miles accumulated and or find what happens when removed cuz some one (or more) are gonna remove them at some point. I have no interest in testing it.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 09:54 AM

I thought that cover was just there for aesthetic reasons?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, not too worried about the engine cover being necessary for thermal control. There are so many holes and vents in the cover that I can't see it making any difference. I ran my '04 NSX without an engine cover and had no problems.

The only issue might be the rear engine cover, since the vent on that one corresponds to an opening at the bottom of the rear window, so without that vent grille, it looks like objects can fall directly into the engine bay. One could possibly cut the rear cover apart so that the engine can be exposed but that grille remain, but I'd hate to have to make permanent changes. I'm sure that piece would cost several hundred dollars to replace, even if it wasn't carbon fiber.

Here is a pic of the opening:

The engine cover for comparison. You can see the vent at the bottom of the rear engine cover corresponds to the visible part in the above photo.

Last edited by TimberWolf; 01-12-2016 at 02:43 AM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 09:42 AM

Just leave it on I say. Didn't ever look close enough to the engine bay to notice the protective grilles but if it's there then leave it be or risk something falling in.
Since we're talking about the engine, I don't think we've ever seen the NSX engine bay without that cover. Curious to see what it looks like under there.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 09:58 AM

We've seen the engine by itself but never the engine bay without the cover. Guess you'll just have to see it for yourself.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNSX View Post
We've seen the engine by itself but never the engine bay without the cover. Guess you'll just have to see it for yourself.
There's a good chance we'll see how it looks once someone takes one of these in for servicing where the cover has to come off.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 03:32 PM

I got an idea. Take all covers off and take a high quality photo... and put them back on. Then go to a commercial sign printer and get it printed on vinyl sized and shaped to match the rear window where you apply it!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 09:40 AM

That's actually given me an idea. Can we 3D print custom aesthetic parts like the engine cover for the NSX? The possibilities will be endless!

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNSX View Post
That's actually given me an idea. Can we 3D print custom aesthetic parts like the engine cover for the NSX? The possibilities will be endless!
You can 3D print just about anything, and a cover like this should be easy. Just need the right 3D Printer and resources to help make it possible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2016+ Acura NSX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page