Acura's New Naming Scheme, Or the Names of Old? - 2016+ Acura NSX Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Acura's New Naming Scheme, Or the Names of Old?

TFL published a post talking about the best and worst vehicle names on cars currently on sale. one thing they mentioned (as they did with a few other brands as well) is the change from actual names to these alphanumeric naming schemes. Acura is guilty of this.

The thing is, Acura's old names were great. Legend. Integra. Those nameplates are worth ressurecting.

Do you think Acura should go back to names like Legend and Integra instead of their current naming scheme?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 02:06 PM

The problem is that makes it extremely difficult to come up with new names. The issue stems from the fact that automakers trademark everything, things they intend to use and plenty that they don't. It makes coming up with relevant names difficult. Then we get into the conversation of what names mean in different languages...
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

I understand that naming things can be difficult, but its obviously not impossible. Is this alphanumeric naming culture better? I don't think so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 09:11 AM

I can see why they're running out of options if they trademark everything to sounds nice but it gets confusing after a while especially with brands like Mercedes.
Had a good read with the 5 best current car names. They may not be the most sporty sounding names but at least they're memorable.

My favorite:
Quote:
5) Skoda Yeti:

I love that fact that a Czech car company owned by Germans named a car after a Nepali Abominable Snowman.
What do you guys think the NSX should have been named instead?

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

I don't have a problem with the NSX name, partly because its historical at this point, but let's start by bringing back the Legend and Integra nameplates. Both names just denote such quality and value.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.smith View Post
I don't have a problem with the NSX name, partly because its historical at this point, but let's start by bringing back the Legend and Integra nameplates. Both names just denote such quality and value.
But they don't anymore, that's why they went away. I don't know if the ILX sells any better if you call it an Integra...

NSX stands for New Sportscar eXperimental.

Hondas alphanumerics typically have something behind the letters.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 08:42 AM

Never knew NSX stood for that and it applies to the new NSX too. Makes sense since it's a new halo sportscar for Acura and experimental with those three electric motors.

A lot better than the other naming schemes. Feels like BMW just put a random number behind the i for the i3 and i8.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 12:43 PM

While it's nice for vehicles to have real names like Legend, Integra, Vigor, etc. The new naming scheme makes sense with brand recognition and coming up with new names... brand recognition is the more important one.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 09:06 AM

I think Acura's naming scheme is recognizable. They all end with an X so more people can accurately guess who the manufacturer is if it's 3 letters and ends with an X.
But BMW and Scion are cross naming their things.
BMW: i3, i8
Scion: iM, iA, iR

Violee likes this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 12:11 PM

I don't really think it does help with brand recognition. For the average person, all these alphanumeric names blend together. People can probably tell you that a Civic comes from Honda though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2016+ Acura NSX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page