Jalopnik Deems the NSX a "Rational Supercar" - 2016+ Acura NSX Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Jalopnik Deems the NSX a "Rational Supercar"

The NSX is getting some strange reviews. Jalopnik has called it a "rational supercar," but that's not a compliment. Supercars are not supposed to practical or rational. It is an unfortunate circumstance. From the very inception it seems doomed to failure. honda set out to make a practical supercar, but practical never should have been part of the equation.

Quote:
In driving the new NSX, Cammisa calls it a “rational supercar.” There’s the problem. A supercar is not supposed to be rational, but Honda’s choices—AWD, sport tires instead of supercar tires, software—have made it so. Very fast, very capable, but not that engaging.
Do reviews like this make you nervous? What do you think of the idea of a rational supercar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 08:48 AM

I thought Acura was calling the NSX a daily sports car and not a supercar? That would explain why they call it rational.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAndFurious View Post
I thought Acura was calling the NSX a daily sports car and not a supercar? That would explain why they call it rational.
Acura is specifically calling it a supercar, but to me it's just a high-end sports car. Chances are they know that but called it 'supercar' for marketing purposes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 03:11 PM

What do you think is attached to supercar that makes the NSX not really fit into that category?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.smith View Post
The NSX is getting some strange reviews. Jalopnik has called it a "rational supercar," but that's not a compliment. Supercars are not supposed to practical or rational. It is an unfortunate circumstance. From the very inception it seems doomed to failure. honda set out to make a practical supercar, but practical never should have been part of the equation.

Do reviews like this make you nervous? What do you think of the idea of a rational supercar?
No because they're the ramblings of man-children.

Think about the target demo of the NSX... They're successful 50-60/70 year olds who want something to enjoy.

Most of them ostensibly choose the 911... and the 911 is by NO MEANS impractical or irrational. You can get it in 4WD and I see just as many new 911s around in the winter as I do in the summer.

Fuh there's a dude who drives his Ferrari FF year round in the building down the street from me.

This whole pitch about it needs to mean and kill you is totally ass backwards.

The original NSX was designed to root out the "im trying to kill you" handling and throttle response of the late 80's super car...

You can let it worry you if you want... but if it does worry you you're don't really want the car for the car, you want it for some sort of external validation...

I don't get why people are so anathema to the idea of an everyday supercar... Seriously that's Porsches bread ad butter... so Porsche gets a pass but Acura does not...

I know you don't have a response for this, no one does.

The NSX hate falls into the Acura hate, totally unfounded... and from people who aren't going to buy one in the first place...

FFS.
RedNSX likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.smith View Post

and as much as Jalopnik would like to think so, the reaction times of mere mortals are not capable of handling what they deem to be the ideal supercar.

Acura made a car any old dude can drive fast, not just Fernando Alonso... and that right there is the appeal. It makes bad drivers good and good drivers excellent...
|\|SX likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 10:07 AM

I think a good way to see it is like Acura GTR. The Nissan GTR was made to be like this, but of course the NSX is formed a little differently. And look at the response the GTR got once on the market.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 08:59 AM

Agree with you there Violee. I think the people who wants the fast and furious cars are the younger generation who likes to go on track a lot. I may not be 50-60/70 year old but the Acura NSx holds more appeal to me than a manual super sports car that I can't control.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 10:14 AM

It's probably what Acura noticed, a lot of people getting into the market but haven't been gear heads all their life, and just want to get in and drive the heck out of a supecar/high end sports car without being some guru, at least this lets them to do just that.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNSX View Post
Agree with you there Violee. I think the people who wants the fast and furious cars are the younger generation who likes to go on track a lot. I may not be 50-60/70 year old but the Acura NSx holds more appeal to me than a manual super sports car that I can't control.
Sorry I was just making a blanket generalization based on who the core Porsche demo is (which i really think is the NSX's target this time)

It just upsets me to no end that each and every journalist is coming to the conclusion that the "NSX is AWFUL because I didn't have a heart attack behind the wheel or it didn't snap oversteer me into a tree..."

I'm sitting here scratching my head going when did that become our metric for how good a car is or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2016+ Acura NSX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page