Acura Locked NSX's Speed? - 2016+ Acura NSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Acura Locked NSX's Speed?

Was reading the NSX review on motorauthority.com when I came upon this bit of info:

Quote:
Unfortunately, Honda didn't want us to drive the car faster than 111 mph and they actually had them governed at 118 mph.
Does this mean it won't go above 118mph?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 01:02 PM

Could have just been for the review test drives, but it could also be speed limited. Unless you go to the track, you won't be going 111 mph anyway.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Just odd that they limited a sports car that's meant to go fast or be taken on track. Guess anyone who plans to race with it will have to remove the speed limit somehow. Heard of it being done but don't really know the process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 01:05 PM

That can be done, but you will void your warranty and insurance issues could also arise.

Speed limiting vehicles happens often times. Sometimes it is because the vehicle is not really designed to go at whatever speed. The engine is capable of going faster, but the car shouldn't go that fast.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 01:43 PM

oh man like that matters... thats 190 kph... plenty fast.. but its not hard to remove the speed limiter... tunes will be the most common surely...
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Is a Hybrid car harder to tune for more speed than a normal petrol one?
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAndFurious View Post
I'm no mechanic, but I wouldn't think so. I think the only difference is that you might need to have a bit more knowledge in order to work with a hybrid powertrain. I imagine most tuning is done through software and computers now.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAndFurious View Post
software... you need smart people to program it though. Flashing it is the easier part, figuring out what to flash is where the smarts are...
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Looked it up and there seems to be two ways to do it: aftermarket performance chips or engine computer reprogramming.
Neither looks like a good idea.

Would have been cool if it was designed like the Nissan GT-R where the car automatically raises its top speed when you bring the car to a racetrack and the GPS detects it.
Best of both worlds for those who like to race and take it out for joy rides on normal roads.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 09:57 AM

I thought I read it was limited only for the brief test rides under review. Since the car is still in tweaking stage they (Honda) probably just wanted some control limits in place to minimize mishaps with over aggressive driving at that time. It also helps get them more overall and useful ride and drive characteristics feedback ... beyond that from drivers who might just want to go for thrill ride and merely test the limits. IMHO
Get the "road car" dynamics done first (w/o compromises) AND right since that will be what most owners want to appreciate. Then they can start pushing limits for those who plan to do some or a lot of track time... Which might actually lead to the R version. That makes good business sense and sets stage for pleasing both owner types better and less negative reviews over time. Sure I want to see good... Make that Great numbers. But more important to me is I want to appreciate the baseline engineering results and enjoy the overall ride driving on normal roads.
And I actually prefer the cabin area be as quiet as possible so I can have conversation or listen to tunes w/o competing with "piped in " engine sound as I understand is being done. If they feel they must do the piping in, then hopefully they would enable that (via a valve) being turned on or off (open closed) by the driver and regardless of drive mode. If I want or need to hear more engine sound inside I'll just open the windows. Or better yet I'd take out the targa... If only they did that up front... or even a T-top might be OK if it help solve rigidity concerns. If that option comes out later as suspected... I for one will be somewhat upset/disappointed with my decision to be an early adaptor as I'd not just jump on losing excess monies just to trade up later. Maybe some of the recent delay time might enable that Targa/T Top option from beginning? Are you (Honda/Acura) watching and reading the forums for early owner driver wishes ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2016+ Acura NSX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page