Why No Active Aero on the NSX - 2016+ Acura NSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Why No Active Aero on the NSX

Surprisingly the NSX features no active aero, unlike other supercars and hypercars that take advantage of this technology.

Read the Q&A below MotorTrend did with with NSX Chief Engineer, Ted Klaus on why they did this:

Quote:
One of the things you may notice about the NSX is that while it is aggressively vented and grilled, it doesn’t have any of the whiz-bang fins and spoilers that rise up and lower at speed. We asked its chief engineer, Ted Klaus, why. MT: Why doesn't it have some sort of pop-up rear spoiler? Active aero?
TK: “It’s simply that we chose to develop the product with the passive aerodynamics fully optimized. So we wanted to challenge ourselves to fully optimize the aerodynamics. Now, as I’m fond of saying, if you have your passive specification worked out well, you will discover the opportunities for active aerodynamics.” MT: So does this not have any active aerodynamics?
TK: “There are no active aerodynamics according to my definition, which has an actuator – something that is an electromechanical actuator. So there are no active aerodynamics.”
One of the things you may notice about the NSX is that while it is aggressively vented and grilled, it doesn’t have any of the whiz-bang fins and spoilers that rise up and lower at speed. We asked its chief engineer, Ted Klaus, why. MT: Why doesn't it have some sort of pop-up rear spoiler? Active aero?
TK: “It’s simply that we chose to develop the product with the passive aerodynamics fully optimized. So we wanted to challenge ourselves to fully optimize the aerodynamics. Now, as I’m fond of saying, if you have your passive specification worked out well, you will discover the opportunities for active aerodynamics.” MT: So does this not have any active aerodynamics?
TK: “There are no active aerodynamics according to my definition, which has an actuator – something that is an electromechanical actuator. So there are no active aerodynamics.”

Read more: 2016 Acura NSX Engineer: No Active Aero

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 10:46 AM

The guy asking questions makes me want to puke. I wish klaus pulled a Kimi and just walked away...

Quote:
MT: Was that from a cost/complexity consideration or from a “purity” angle?
TK: “There is an element of purity, and there is an element of what I would call… you set your targets. Supercars aren’t about [being] rational, but you set your targets and you want to achieve your targets in the straightest line, with the least complexity, mass, and other things. But we’ve definitely discovered opportunities, but we were able to achieve our downforce targets without any active aero.”

MT: Are you losing any of the "wow factor" by not having, say, a spoiler that shifts to 90-degrees when you slam on the brakes? Or do you not care? Was that not even a consideration?
TK: “I’m not going to lie, we always consider emotion. I mean one of the keys to any small volume supercar is emotion. But you have to temper that with your overall concept, with your overall philosophy. So, yeah we had many knock down, drag out fights late into the night – are we going to do this, are we not going to do this? If your only consideration is emotion, that would not be well-aligned with NSX.”

Last edited by nexus; 04-30-2015 at 10:51 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Yup!

It comes across as being more annoying than anything.
But hey at least he pulled through and provided good answers for us to go off of, ultimately what we want out of it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 12:02 PM

If they've met their downforce targets without incorporating the active aero then they've obviously put a lot of r&d into creating the aerodynamics of the fixed stream-lines and spoiler of the NSX. I really can't wait to see this beast in action.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuraman View Post
If they've met their downforce targets without incorporating the active aero then they've obviously put a lot of r&d into creating the aerodynamics of the fixed stream-lines and spoiler of the NSX. I really can't wait to see this beast in action.
They probably deemed it good enough

Active aero could have possible kicked it up a notch, along with other tech that requires heavy components, heavy... being not what they want. Light nimble.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 04:59 PM

Yeah. I think they got it covered. We'll soon now how the beast handles under high speeds. Sometimes I feel that the active aero can be very beneficial towards certain cars and others have no need for it. I become rather a marketing add-on for sales, IMO.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

i don't know about soon seeing how it handles under high speeds

we'll have to wait for some publications with tracks to go lapping with the NSX

or

better yet a test drive even Acura holds for members of the media to push the NSX

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 03:36 PM

I'm curious, how many of you would even be able to FEEL the difference in active vs passive aero, let alone exploit the advantages....

Yea, exactly what I thought.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
I'm curious, how many of you would even be able to FEEL the difference in active vs passive aero, let alone exploit the advantages....

Yea, exactly what I thought.
Yeah I doubt you can.
As cool as it would be to have active aero, as long as they did what's right for the NSX that's what matters.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastAcura View Post
Yeah I doubt you can.
As cool as it would be to have active aero, as long as they did what's right for the NSX that's what matters.
agreed. If I had to lay money down I'd say Acuras goal was to make a car that is enjoyable at all speeds the number one priority. I'm sure they also factored that 90% of the time they will be steady state crusing a highway, backroad carving or sitting in the underground at work...

Besides the cost of developing active aero would add far more to the price of the car then is necessary... the conversation changes as the price point climbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2016+ Acura NSX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page