Road and Track Reviews the 2017 Acura NSX - 2016+ Acura NSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Road and Track Reviews the 2017 Acura NSX

Road and Track has reviewed the 2017 Acura NSX. The publication asks in its headline, "Does the 2017 Acura NSX Live up to Its Legendary Predecessor?"

It;s a bit of a difficult review to write up since there are no official performance numbers yet. But we do know some things about the NSX.

Quote:
There's a twin-turbo, dry-sump, 3.5-liter V-6 behind the passenger cell good for 500 horsepower and 406 pound-feet of torque. It raps to an impressive 7500 rpm, pulling to redline like a good Honda mill.
The reviewer is able to talk about the hybrid powertrain in detail though, which is nice to hear about since that is the new thing about the NSX.

Quote:
The system uses the electric motors with their instant, brilliant torque, to fill in the powerband while the turbos wake up. There's no lag. None. You'd never know they were back there if it weren't for the whistle of forced induction at your ear and the off-throttle chatter. If electrification really is coming for us all, I hope and pray it looks just like this.
They point out a weight issue with the NSX, despite it using lightweight materials.

Quote:
There's also the weight issue. Despite a chassis intense with lightweight materials like aluminum and carbon fiber, this car tips the scales at just over 3,800 pounds – some 700 more than the fattest first generation machine. And, like the original NSX and the Ferrari 458 Italia, the new car only puts 42 percent of its heft on the front tires. The engine may be in the middle, but the weight isn't.
It's a lengthy review, which is all the more valuable because there haven't been many reviews on the 2017 NSX as of yet. Definitely worth the read.

2017 Acura NSX - First Drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 11:14 AM

What is with the weight being so high? It's competitors don't have such high weight numbers and that weight has real impacts on performance. Could Acura just not afford carbon fiber everywhere?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 08:36 AM

Apparently the weight is from an advanced power train and technology. Automobile Magazine didn't go into more detail than that about the additional weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 11:17 AM

Automobile Mag will waste your time, it was 20% real information with 80% fluff. I rather wait for MotorTrend, Chris Harris or someone, some other publication that will highlight what WE want to know.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by |\|SX View Post
Automobile Mag will waste your time, it was 20% real information with 80% fluff. I rather wait for MotorTrend, Chris Harris or someone, some other publication that will highlight what WE want to know.
And what do you want to know that you feel hasn't been covered by the reviews that are currently out?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 11:06 AM

I'm talking about this specific review, no where did I mention any others.

These guys should have talked about how it is in comparison to other vehicles; driving dynamics, feel, handling, power delivery throughout the power range, what it's like on road and track, etc.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 08:34 AM

They do go into how it drives but maybe we'll see a comparison later on from them. I think there was a video review on the forum where the NSX was compared to a McLaren.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 11:07 AM

Never seen that comparison, but I know there has been discussion here about McLaren alternatives, post the review talking about the McLaren here.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by |\|SX View Post
Never seen that comparison, but I know there has been discussion here about McLaren alternatives, post the review talking about the McLaren here.
Quote:
And the transmission? Porsche sets the pace with its PDK when it comes to dual-clutch gearboxes. Honda readily admits it developed everything in this system, from the hardware to the software, in just 18 months – an eye blink for a manufacturer. It's a strong effort, but still falls short of the German system. Where the 911 can be eerily anticipatory, choosing the correct gear half a second before you knew you wanted it, the NSX manages to be underfoot in anything less than a full, deep-throttle bashing. Manual mode is better, offering very fast, very smooth shifts both up and down the pattern, but I still saw occasions where requesting a gear did not yield a shift.
That's the closest thing to a comparison that I can see.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 08:59 AM

Odd that road and track didn't mention anything bout the under steer when I found 2 reviews which stated that the Acura NSX does tend to do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2016+ Acura NSX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page