2016+ Acura NSX Forum

2016+ Acura NSX Forum (https://www.nsxforums.com/forum/)
-   2016+ Acura NSX News (https://www.nsxforums.com/forum/2016-acura-nsx-news/)
-   -   Japan Pays 50% More For The NSX (https://www.nsxforums.com/forum/2016-acura-nsx-news/6898-japan-pays-50-more-nsx.html)

Acura NSX News 08-29-2016 02:09 PM

Japan Pays 50% More For The NSX

https://www.nsxforums.com/forum/membe...-honda-nsx.jpg

Honda’s first generation NSX was built in a purpose-made factory in Japan so it would make sense if the home market were to receive one of the earlier batches along with a reasonable MSRP. Well that’s not the case with the new NSX as it’ll cost around 50% more per unit than America.

Future owners in Japan will need to wait until 2017 for their NSX, which puts its release date behind countries like the U.S. and Australia. On top of that, the Honda NSX’s base price is 23.7 million. That’s around $235,000 based on the current exchange rate, making it more expensive than its Acura badged twin with a base price of $156,000.

That’s an unfortunate price hike but understandable. Even though the NSX is a Japanese supercar, the vehicle itself is still built overseas in Acura’s new Performance Manufacturing Center (PMC) in Marysville, Ohio. This makes the Honda NSX an imported vehicle in Japan and subject to a higher tax rate than domestic cars. On top of that, there’s other tax rates including an 8% gas-guzzler tax. Add everything together and you have an inflated price.

Some Japanese customers may be willing to pay a premium for the Honda NSX but they have to put their orders in fast because only 100 units will be made available in the first year and deliveries are expected to start on February 27, 2017, or May 2017 for models with iron brake rotors.

Shawn 08-29-2016 03:32 PM

I don't think the pricing of it down there should really be an issue. Considering the abundance of supercars down there, doesn't seem like much of an issue from what I see at least.

RedNSX 08-30-2016 09:02 AM

Sucks for Honda as they're definitely going to sell less units in countries with high taxes like Japan and Australia. I think the NSX is priced close to the Lamborghini Huracan, Audi R8, Porsche 911 Turbo and entry McLaren model in Australia.

Same with the NSX in Japan, it costs around twice what Nissan gets for a GT-R.

NightWing 08-30-2016 09:28 AM

That's definitely going to be a problem. I love the vehicle and all, but would you rather spend that money at the end of the day on an Acura or on a Lamborghini or McLaren ?

1fastAcura 08-30-2016 01:37 PM

Not a good thing to happen since people will just easily go for something else, used GT-R, used 458 Italia, etc, and those all have been proven to be fun in their own way. I'll be interesting in seeing what sales numbers are like after 6 months, 1 year, etc.

FastAndFurious 08-31-2016 08:59 AM

We know that at least 3 NSX has been shipped to Japan since this Tuesday. According to The News, three are on their way to Yokohama, Japan. Not bad considering the Japan ordering books just recently opened.

1fastAcura 08-31-2016 11:48 AM

Not surprising at all. They haven't had that many supercars come from a brand that's Japanese, aside from the GT-R, this is only it, but the GT-R is more of a high end sports car than a supercar.

So it's pretty easy for the NSX to stand out there.

NightWing 09-01-2016 08:14 AM

It'll stand out there, and people down there will make it stand out even more. Once the NSX's get down to Japan, we'll really start seeing a bit more aftermarket support, I'm pretty sure of it

RedNSX 09-01-2016 09:03 AM

If Honda wants the NSx to stand out, they should ask supercar dealers to put one on their showroom floors. Bingo Sports is one such dealer, they're one of the most reputable supercar dealerships in Asia and they are an official Pagani dealer.

1fastAcura 09-01-2016 12:41 PM

That will always happen regardless, always those smaller dealers and even sales people doing that. Deals on Wheels in Dubai is a good example, and of course there are many more examples across the world. As long as there is demand there will be people trying to supply and take their cut.