Acura NSX More Reliable Than Ferrari 458 - 2016+ Acura NSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Acura NSX More Reliable Than Ferrari 458

Way back when Acura was still developing the NSX, they purchased two Ferrari 458 coupes to use as their competition benchmark. One of them was taken apart so Acura could examine the manufactured vehicle in detail, the other one was saved for performance testing against the NSX.

Well it turns out, Ferrari's 458 wasn't exactly made to last. Acura spokesperson told Automobile Magazine that the performance testing car "broke left and right throughout testing”. Admittedly, we don't know what the Ferrari 458 was put through during the testing phase but if it was anything similar to the NSX prototype's tests (running laps around Germany's Nürburgring) then logically, Ferrari's supercar should be able to handle whatever Acura threw at it fairly well without breaking down.

Luckily for you future NSX owners, Acura learned from this. “As you might imagine, the NSX will hold up much better, in typical Honda fashion.” While exotic supercars have come a long way from when the NSX was first introduced in 1990, they're still a temperamental bunch but if the new NSX can live up to it's predecessor's reputation for reliability then we could see Acura repeat it's historical success with the new model.

A tall order to fill because according to Autos.com, used Acura NSXs exceeding 100,000 miles are still running without serious reliability issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 12:03 PM

That's one thing I love about Acura.

But for those still looking for and open to an alternative that's just as good (or better?), McLaren might be worth looking into. I'm most interested in seeing long term test of the new 570s.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by |\|SX View Post
That's one thing I love about Acura.

But for those still looking for and open to an alternative that's just as good (or better?), McLaren might be worth looking into. I'm most interested in seeing long term test of the new 570s.
i actually have a buddy that sold his 360 for a 458, 4 months into 458 ownership ditched it for a 12C and has been daily driving the 12C ever since.

Built quality and reliability is just unbeatable compared to its Ferrari rival.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 08:41 AM

Ouch, 4 months in and your friend's Ferrari was already breaking left and right? Were Ferraris ever built to last?

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNSX View Post
Ouch, 4 months in and your friend's Ferrari was already breaking left and right? Were Ferraris ever built to last?
Part issues, part learning from the experience of other 458 owners that discouraged a longer ownership term.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 01:44 PM

Not surprised by this at all. I don't expect Italian supercars to be reliable, and I expect Honda/Acura to be quite reliable.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:58 AM

Guess i was a bit naive in that regard. I expected people to get what they pay for in terms of reliability, especially with super cars where people are dropping a lot of money per car.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 10:26 AM

That's not always the case. Aston Martins are expensive but at the same time unreliable. But on the plus side they do have unlimited warranties that sort of make up for it, that's if being in the shop 1/2 the time doesn't bother you.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 11:02 AM

Consider that Ferrari (until very recently) was under the FCA banner. FCA cars are generally the least reliable of any automaker around.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 09:53 AM

Think Ferrari has any incentive to improve the reliability of their cars? They may be known for breaking down but people are still buying them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2016+ Acura NSX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page