Stop Complaining About the NSX. - 2016+ Acura NSX Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Stop Complaining About the NSX.

The new NSX is finally here and all people seem to be capable of is making lame jokes and outdated comparisons.

And the problem with that is these people seem to fundamentally misunderstand what the NSX is to Honda. For that we need a quick history lesson.

NSX in Honda-speak stands for New Sportscar eXperimental, this was the design ethos they worked from when creating the original lightweight, rev-to-the-moon NSX.

The original NSX shook the bones of the sportscar market because it was relatively affordable, used relatively common parts, was reliable and didn't try to kill you everytime you drove one. Beat Ferrari and start every morning for half the price.

Honda was lauded for breaking the mold and producing an exotic sportscar for the people. The first production car to feature an all-aluminium semi-monocoque body, Honda developed a revolutionary extruded aluminium alloy frame and suspension components that saved close to 200 kg alone. The aluminium suspension arms shaved a further 20 kg of unsprung weight.

The MKI NSX was also the world's first production car engine with titanium con-rods, forged pistons and ultra high-revving capabilities, the 8,000 RPM redline nearly unheard of in production cars. (A feature that Civic and Integra Type R fans would come to love in the coming years)

Fast forward to 2016 and the new NSX has absolutely stayed true to the New Sportscar eXperimental ethos. What other cars out there offer a mid-engine, hybrid, AWD, twin-turbo drivetrain. Not many, you can count them on one hand; McLaren P1, Porsche 918 and the Ferrari LaFerrari.

Once again the NSX offers buyers 90% of the performance at a much lower price point. This is where the future of supercars are heading.

Which brings us round to the perplexing nature of the negative comments. Those complaining Honda needs to get back to it's roots and build a real NSX. Honda never abandoned their roots, it's you who seems to be begging Honda to abandon their roots by building a modern replica of a 25 year old car.

The auto industry has pushed forward and so has Honda.

If the NSX brand is supposed to be a technological tour-de-force showcasing the best that Honda and Acura engineers have to offer then Honda has absolutely hit their nail on the head. The original car was designed to showcase several Honda technologies derived from Formula 1, technologies that would eventually trickle down to the rest of Honda's lineup.

Despite the problems with McLaren Honda on track the new NSX will serve the same function, a showcase of future Honda/Acura technology that will propel them into the future and trickle down to the lowliest ILX.

You don't have to like it, but you should probably shut your mouth.
Violee likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 03:10 PM

I think that the NSX just is a slight bit awkward when you compare it to the rest of the vehicles that it will compete against. Can't wait to see some comparative reviews.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Who View Post
I think that the NSX just is a slight bit awkward when you compare it to the rest of the vehicles that it will compete against. Can't wait to see some comparative reviews.
LOL... what makes it 'awkward' compared to the vehicles it competes against?

The Fact that the NSX is different then a 911 or a Ferrari California doesn't make it awkward it makes it unique...

By your definition the original NSX was 'awkward' in relation to competitors as well... look how well that turned out
Gadgetman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violee View Post
LOL... what makes it 'awkward' compared to the vehicles it competes against?

The Fact that the NSX is different then a 911 or a Ferrari California doesn't make it awkward it makes it unique...

By your definition the original NSX was 'awkward' in relation to competitors as well... look how well that turned out
Exactly. Awkward is if it's like the competition and doesn't have things going on unique to it, it's those unique things that set it apart from the rest and gives someone things to go off of to justify the NSX.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 09:04 AM

I find that most biased complaints comes from those who has not test driven the NSX yet. The few test reviews seems to say otherwise.
Automobilemag thinks the
Quote:
NSX’s approach is a surprising one, and some will knock its philosophy. But the 2017 Acura NSX isn’t soft rock. More like a power ballad.
|\|SX and Violee like this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 10:13 AM

MotorTrends review is a good example of that, reviewer wasn't sure what to expect and it seems like there was some expectation of it not being that great, but as you probably seen that turned out to not be the case.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by |\|SX View Post
MotorTrends review is a good example of that, reviewer wasn't sure what to expect and it seems like there was some expectation of it not being that great, but as you probably seen that turned out to not be the case.
I wish message boards were around back in the 80's. Would LOVE to hear what people were saying about the original before it showed up... same hate and doubt? I wonder...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violee View Post
I wish message boards were around back in the 80's. Would LOVE to hear what people were saying about the original before it showed up... same hate and doubt? I wonder...
I think that there are forums on the old NSX around. It has kept popularity over the years.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 08:45 AM

I found a forum for the older NSX and they see to be accepting of the new NSX, at least from what I've read.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNSX View Post
I found a forum for the older NSX and they see to be accepting of the new NSX, at least from what I've read.
Not surprised, some loyal owners of the previous gen are bound to get into the new one. Overall loyalty within the Honda brand is strong. I'll be most interested in hearing what feedback they have to share.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2016+ Acura NSX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page