NSX GT on Track for 2017 - 2016+ Acura NSX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

NSX GT on Track for 2017

Honda Performance Development continues to develop the new NSX into a full blown racing machine.

HPD boss Steve Ericksen told Sportscar365 that they're currently debating weather they should do a GT3 or GTE platform. “It was one of the reasons I was at [Road America], to try and get a sense of what the options are and how well those options fit with American Honda’s plans of promoting the car.”

Should HPD choose the GT3 route the NSX would replace the less-then-2-year-old TLX GT, saying the work to transition the TLX to a fully homologated GT3 car would be far too daunting.

“We’re looking at our options and one of them is to go two-wheel drive,” he said. “It’s just how big of a tear up is it? You could disconnect your front-wheel drive but is that really going to make a good race car?

“That’s the question we’re looking at right now. We need it to be competitive because otherwise, why be there?”

Eriksen went on to admit the importance of committing to a long term presence in American sports car racing.

“Certainly America is likely to be the biggest market for the [NSX], so it makes sense to race it here,” he said.

“We’re still trying to understand what specific series suits us best. Based on the rules, we have to work backwards to see how much time we need to prepare.”

Unfortunately it appears that the NSX GT will be run minus its hybrid heart. “I think the reality is that the series aren’t ready for that yet, and I’m not sure the teams are, either,” Eriksen said. “That adds a level of complication. We certainly raced hybrids before in Japan. The CRZ raced as a hybrid, the Super GTs have been outfitted as hybrids at times. We know what to do but it doesn’t seem like the other manufacturers are ready for that yet."

He was cautious, saying not to expect the NSX GT until 2017 at the earliest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 02:44 PM

would they also be eligible to run it in Europe? Chevy does something similar with the Corvette, they run the factory Corvette team in the full TUDOR championship, and most if not all of the WEC season...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 01:36 PM

That is some racing body kit they have on there. I'm always interested in the details of the how the body kit improves aerodynamics. That spoiler is also quite large. Racing the NSX should translate to more sales too, so I am a supporter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.smith View Post
That is some racing body kit they have on there. I'm always interested in the details of the how the body kit improves aerodynamics. That spoiler is also quite large. Racing the NSX should translate to more sales too, so I am a supporter.
As you can imagine its to optimize performance as much as possible for track use, for production it would be too wild and unnecessary.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 11:44 AM

For production, most of the body kit would be stripped away and the spoiler will get a size reduction.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast&Furious View Post
For production, most of the body kit would be stripped away and the spoiler will get a size reduction.
Production? What production? The race car is derived from the production car, not the other way around
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 11:51 AM

Acura is currently running in the Pirelli World Challenge so maybe they will stick with the GT3 platform.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast&Furious View Post
Acura is currently running in the Pirelli World Challenge so maybe they will stick with the GT3 platform.
They're not running a GT3 car in PWC. The article says if they decide to go the GT3 route they will scrap the TLX GT because its too difficult to transition...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 11:17 AM

Which one do you think they'll run in?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 12:00 PM

I know i'd rather see the NSX run, plus it might even help with their marketing efforts and quite possibly with applying future upgrades.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2016+ Acura NSX Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page